Friday, May 2, 2008

Who needs a Monster Manual When You Have the Internet

I just had this page passed on to me by a friend. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I've already had lunch today.

Just goes to show you that things like Rot Grubs and Giant Bugs and all sorts of horrible, horrible other things that crop up in D&D are there for a reason - because they are real. I remember watching some show called "Walking With Monsters". Never mind dinosaurs - pah, that's child's play. How about the underwater scorpions the size of a VW bug, or millipedes several meters long and weighing a hundred or so kilos? That is some scary, scary stuff. Travel back through time to about 500 million BC with just a leather cuirass, a shield, and a spear and see how long YOU last against that madness.

A good example of what I'm talking about:



And here's the huge-ass millipede:



Or, just start playing with blo fly eggs...or giant Japanese wasps.

4 comments:

Max said...

Also horrifying: scolopendra gigantea robusta. Websearch giant centipede youtube. Gah.

I'm squicked by the little red ones here in the midwest, fast as heck and all wriggly and twitching when you stomp them. That foot-long, armored version? I turned the video off in ten seconds, when the mouse started squealing!

Jack Badelaire said...

I think I'm going to be ill. That was horrifying.

Max said...

Nature, red in tooth and claw. And claw. And claw. And claw....

Jack Badelaire said...

Just added a couple YouTube videos from "Walking With Monsters". Very cool show if you ever catch it on Discovery.