Thursday, October 23, 2008

Writers and Gaming

I just stumbled across this article. Short, and I've heard some of these people talk about writing and gaming before (especially China Mieville), but it's a pretty interesting read nonetheless. I must admit at times I can't tell if I'm a wannabe adventure writer who likes to play and run RPGs, or if I'm an RPG hobbyist who likes to try his hand at fiction every so often. I'm sure a lot of other gamers fall into a similar quandary.

Anyhow, here's the article: Of Dice and Men: Modern Fantasists and the Influence of Role-Playing Games.

2 comments:

Darkwing said...

You can't be both?

In any case, I think you're just a wannabe, no matter how you slice it. :)

Jack Badelaire said...

Don't make me come over there and beat you with a Power Klaw...

You're right - sometimes, you can be both. But it's not so much being both as it is, diluting each end of the spectrum because you want to do both. If your gaming comes off as trying to game-out your personal fan fiction and your fantasy writing is coming off as a prose version of your latest gaming session...pick which you want to do and stick with it if you can't keep the two separate, because otherwise everyone is going to see this and probably have no respect for either of your endeavors.